Sorrento, 3SBio Enter Immunotherapy Joint Venture In China

The joint venture agreement will develop and commercialize proprietary immunotherapies using chimeric antigen receptor T-cell technology.

AsianScientist (Jun. 20, 2016) – Sorrento Therapeutics subsidiary TNK Therapeutics (TNK), an antibody-centric, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, and Shenyang Sunshine Pharmaceutical (3SBio), a China-based biotechnology company, have entered into a joint venture to develop and commercialize proprietary immunotherapies.

Under the terms of the agreement, 3SBio will make total contributions of US$10 million to the joint venture. TNK will grant the joint venture an exclusive license to its chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) technology and two additional CARs for cellular therapy for the Greater China market, including Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau. 3SBio will initially own 51 percent of the joint venture while TNK will initially hold the remaining 49 percent.

“CAR-T technology is an important and promising approach to treating cancers, particularly for patients in advanced or metastatic stages of the disease,” said Dr. Lou Jing, chairman and CEO of 3SBio.

“Our first candidate is aimed at carcinoembryonic antigen-positive cancers, which include colorectal, lung, liver and breast cancers.”


Source: Sorrento Therapeutics; Photo: Shutterstock.
Disclaimer: This article does not necessarily reflect the views of AsianScientist or its staff.

Asian Scientist Magazine is an award-winning science and technology magazine that highlights R&D news stories from Asia to a global audience. The magazine is published by Singapore-headquartered Wildtype Media Group.

Related Stories from Asian Scientist