AsianScientist (Jul. 29, 2016) – A total of 12 Philippines-based researchers were recognized for producing world-class research at the Philippines Promising Star Awards 2016, organized by the Intellectual Property & Science (IP & Science) business of Thomson Reuters.
The Philippines Promising Star Awards 2016 recognizes researchers of Filipino nationality based in the Philippines who have produced world-class research papers in their respective fields as indexed in the Web of Science Core Collection.
Using data in the Web of Science Core Collection, over 13,500 research papers produced in the Philippines from 2006 to 2015 were identified. 1,261 of these papers were found to rank within the top ten percent of their category worldwide by citation count and 97 of these top papers have a Philippine reprint author named.
By considering the number of top papers that the author has written, a total of 46 Filipino authors across 17 broad subject areas were identified. The number of recipients in each subject category is determined by the square root of the number of eligible winners in each category rounded down. For example, if there were seven eligible authors in Social Sciences, two recipients will be identified in this category.
This year’s recipients represent nine broad fields spanning social science, computer science, clinical medicine, plant & animal science, neuroscience & behavior, economics & business, molecular biology & genetics, materials science and environment/ecology. The recipients are as follows:
• Professor Clarissa C. David, University of the Philippines, Diliman
• Associate Professor Armand Salvador Mijares, University of the Philippines, Diliman
• Associate Professor Aristotle T. Ubando, De La Salle University, Manila
• Associate Professor Joseph M. Pasia, University of the Philippines, Diliman
• Dr. Emmanuel P. Estrella (M.D.), University of the Philippines, Manila
• Dr. Maria Czarina Acelajado (M.D), University of the Philippines, Manila
Plant & Animal Science
• Professor Windell L Rivera, University of the Philippines, Diliman
Neuroscience & Behavior
• Professor Raymond L Rosales, University of Santo Tomas
Economics & Business
• Assistant Professor Krista Danielle Yu, De La Salle University, Manila
Molecular Biology & Genetics
• Dr. Maria Corazon A. De Ungria, University of the Philippines, Diliman
• Professor Menandro N. Acda, University of the Philippines Los Baños
• Associate Professor Augustus C. Resurreccio, University of the Philippines, Diliman
Source: Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property & Science; Photo: Ken Wilson Lee/Flickr/CC.
Disclaimer: This article does not necessarily reflect the views of AsianScientist or its staff.